Self Portrait by Mara Fitch. From acquaintance - to client - to friend, this fashion icon steals the spotlight from everyone in the room.
Mara is the perfect Demeulemeester "Pin-Up". Her effortless wavy, grey-streaked hair untouched, it seems, by comb, hair color or scissors frames her tiny face, a delicate mask of perfection, makeup free. Tall? Of course. Thin? Like a bird.
Dark and mysterious, quiet and strong. She spends her days reading piles of books, photographing self portraits and making beautiful jewelry. Her smart fingers weave, paint and craft. At night, she watches French films, drinks wine with friends, peruses blogs, reads more piles of books. She thinks, she researches.
But while I admire her beauty, her talent and demeanor, it is her love for fashion that resonates. It is what completes her and ultimately defines her. It's what sets her apart, confirming that loving something makes you beautiful.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010
click on this image for a closer look.
Here I am playing with mixtures of feminine and masculine, much like Chanel does. Justin Gollmer and I shot this in his amazing new studio called Lucile. Here is a rundown on the goods:
- Jeffrey Campbell lace up booty sans tongue, wear fun tights with these!!
- Prada wedge, perfect with a wide leg pant.
- Report Signature pumps, you know what to do with these.
- Mara Fitch Jewelry aka Knitcake, layer these vintage babys on and even Karl Lagerfeld will swoon!
- Betsey Johnson open-toed pump, throw on a fabulous 40's dress and go Swing dancing.
- Juicy Couture jewelry boxes, I wear the bangles and showcase the boxes in my home. Bonus!
- Matisse Joplin rocker boot, skinny jeans and a black tank will take you to the next level, add a touch of fur (or faux fur) and you're "Almost Famous."
- My deliciously wicked and extra large Tano bag is not for the faint at heart. I carry my laptop in this one.
- All props are stylist (that's me!) own.
So next time you want to grit up your look a bit, think Biker Chic meets Lacey Siren and bring out your Dangerous!
Friday, October 15, 2010
I lost my mind when I saw this beautiful collection from Columbian designer Haider Ackermann. Color! It would take a team of stylist to outfit me in one of his drapey gowns, but I'm hardly complaining.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Beneath 70 years of dust and cobwebs a "Sleeping Beauty's" treasures exploded into the art world proving that beauty never dies. Among the most valuable was a dreamy Giovanni Boldini portrait of his lover and muse, an actress who went by the name of Marthe de Florian. The woman, wrapped in a satin pink dress, was, in fact, the grandmother of the flats owner. Colored ribbons bundled passionate love letters from several powerful admirers of de Florian’s, but it was the love note from Giovanni Boldini that confirmed the auctioneer’s suspicions about the painting’s true identity. This beautiful story touched one admirer more than others- the highest bidder. Madame de Florian's painting sold for over 2 million euro.