Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dainty June, Yodelhee Who? The Jen Johnson Interview

I first met up with Jen Johnson when she was the lead designer at EC STAR. I was so delighted last year when she sent news of the launch of her new clothing line for the Summer of 2009; DAINTY JUNE is a playful Indie Designer line, a collaboration with Jen Johnson and the Daking sisters, Jen and Erika. (Check out their sweet ALL MIGHTY website) The name, "Dainty June" is a character from a musical. After I received Jen's email a month or so ago showcasing her "Sound of Music" inspired Fall/Holiday Collection, I HAD to wonder; What is this girls fascination with musicals? And how does it fit in with her new collection?

Adelita: Congratulations on your Fall/Holiday Collection this year!! It's absolutely adorable. I can't stand it!! I am going to post it on my blog immediately. Cute, cute. : ) Any way, couple questions: Are you a crazy fan of The Sound of Music or just all musicals in general? It was my first movie that I ever saw in a movie theatre!

Jen Johnson- I love, love most musicals and I love the movies that were made of them from the 40's to the 70's. The clothes are always my favorite part but I also love the art of set designs and credits!

I'm going to speak for the Daking portion of this trio when I say that our Mom was convinced that we would have become Broadway stars if she had only had the money to send us to those extra sessions at Stagedoor Manor, that and if we had never started dying our hair pink. The simple answer is ALL musicals, well I have to admit we never got that into the newer generation of musicals like Rent, but I can still remember buying a Godspell tape at Tower records when I was about 11, because I thought the cover looked "cool," then listening to it to death! Singing was a huge part of our family. Dinner making, and family drives usually had a soundtrack of Gypsy or West Side Story. Our name, Dainty June, is actually an homage to Gypsy! We named the first collection using names from Gypsy, so it only seemed fitting that we continue with the theme for this season.

A:Who is your favorite character from the Sound of Music movie?

JJ: Didn't everyone want to be Leisl? The dreamy scene in the gazebo singing Sixteen going on Seventeen? Was there anything better when you were little and getting boy crazy?

A: Sooo true, and that white dress! Dreamy... What's your favorite piece from your collection and why?

JJ: I love the Von Trapp Jacket for lots of reasons. The comfy wool, the super cute toggles, It's great fit!



A: It is very sweet. I love the colors too. Now, who would you marry Captain Von Trapp, Christopher Plummer (as in the actor) or Maria?

JJ: The Captain was a little strict for me.... (okay wait, have you seen this? Sound of Music: Central Antwerp I just started crying like a baby!! It's amazing!! The older women with the black hat was astounded! I wish I had witnessed this first hand.) And now back to your question... I'm already married to a handsome man, so I'd probably choose to have Maria. She could wake us up with a song every morning, and make us clothes!

A: Well then how DO you solve a problem like Maria?

JJ: You know, it never really seemed like she was a problem to me! I wish everyone was more like her. I think the nuns were jealous.

A: You said it "sister"! lol. When will your stores be getting this collection?

JJ: Dainty June hits stores early December!

Don't you dare miss it! I've got my little eyes on the “Edward” Sweatshirt, the “Strudel” Dress and the “Brigitta” Jacket. I can almost here the hills singing in the distance...

No comments:

Post a Comment